Thursday, December 26, 2013

Our Version of Hawkey

In 2010 when the Chicago Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup I promised myself that the next time they won I would learn to play hockey.  I'm think I also promised myself a pair of in-line skates.

So, in 2013 when the Chicago Blackhawks beat the Boston Bruins to win the Stanley Cup again I immediately said I would have to learn to play the game.

I'm here to tell you now that it is not a cheap game to play.  With everything else going on in my life I just don't have the time or money to do this.

I started looking around to see how we could play hockey without actually learning to skate and all the other expense.  I hit upon Knee Hockey, and I still want to set some things up so we can play that.  It will be a good indoor activity in the winter.

In the meantime I came up with something based on some web searches I did.  I took the lid of a cardboard box and a plastic coathanger.  I marked lines on the lid, cut goal holes and cut down the hanger into sticks.

Using a quarter or nickel works great.  We haven't decided which one we prefer.

We start by placing the coin in the center and tapping sticks three times.  There are few rules:

  1. If a play knocks the coin out of play the other player gets a penalty shot from the redline (open goal).
  2. If a player plays the coin when it is behind the other player's blue line that player gets a penalty shot.
  3. No fingers
  4. Play nice.
It has been loads of fun.  I think it is actually more fun than air hockey because there seems to be less random whacking at the puck, and the bluelines add more hockey-ness to it.

My only regret is that it is only for two players.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Clever as ever, you are, Bill. Nice idea. My only concern is the wear and tear on your back; because it is down at your knees. Can't you put it up on the table and sit on chairs and play? Of course, I do have a few years on you and the aches and pains show up faster on my older body. But it's a thought! Love, Auntie Char xoxoxoxoxo

Inner Prop said...

The one shown in the picture is a tabletop version.

Knee hockey is different. That's played on carpet and you don't move around on your knees much. Of it were a problem I suppose you could wear knee pads. The stocks for that version are a bit longer. They're typically about 18 inches long.